Firefighters respond to house fire in Monroe Township


Grandparents, infant grandson escape safely

By Maximilian Kwiatkowski - Mkwiatkowski@civitasmedia.com



Firefighters cut a hole into the roof while smoke billows out of the home at 630 Josiah Morris Road in Monroe Township Tuesday morning.

Firefighters cut a hole into the roof while smoke billows out of the home at 630 Josiah Morris Road in Monroe Township Tuesday morning.


Maximilian Kwiatkowski | The Advocate

Firefighters investigate a fire at 630 Josiah Morris Road in Monroe Township Tuesday morning.


Maximilian Kwiatkowski | The Advocate

Firefighters hose down a chimney while responding to a house fire at 630 Josiah Morris Road in Monroe Township Tuesday morning.


Maximilian Kwiatkowski | The Advocate

Firefighters responded to a house fire in Monroe Township Tuesday morning.

The fire broke out about 11 a.m. at 630 Josiah Morris Road. Owners Robert and Leah Findlay were inside their home with their 9-month-old grandson. All escaped safely.

Smoke could be seen exiting the home through the roof as firefighters made their way into the structure.

Chief Brian Bennington of the Central Townships Joint Fire District said the fire likely started as an accidental chimney fire, which then spread to the attic. Bennington estimated one-third of the structure was damaged.

He noted that the Findlays had smoke detectors and took safety precautions.

“There was nothing they really could do,” he said.

Andra Troyer, the Findlays’ daughter, was on the scene.

“My parents and I are very thankful for our local fire departments,” she said. “I appreciate all they do for us.”

The fire remains under investigation.

Crews who responded include Central Townships, London, Mechanicsburg, Jefferson Township and Pleasant Valley in Plain City.

Firefighters cut a hole into the roof while smoke billows out of the home at 630 Josiah Morris Road in Monroe Township Tuesday morning.
http://aimmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/31/2017/03/web1_DSCN5019.jpgFirefighters cut a hole into the roof while smoke billows out of the home at 630 Josiah Morris Road in Monroe Township Tuesday morning. Maximilian Kwiatkowski | The Advocate

Firefighters investigate a fire at 630 Josiah Morris Road in Monroe Township Tuesday morning.
http://aimmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/31/2017/03/web1_DSCN5021.jpgFirefighters investigate a fire at 630 Josiah Morris Road in Monroe Township Tuesday morning. Maximilian Kwiatkowski | The Advocate

Firefighters hose down a chimney while responding to a house fire at 630 Josiah Morris Road in Monroe Township Tuesday morning.
http://aimmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/31/2017/03/web1_DSCN5022.jpgFirefighters hose down a chimney while responding to a house fire at 630 Josiah Morris Road in Monroe Township Tuesday morning. Maximilian Kwiatkowski | The Advocate
Grandparents, infant grandson escape safely

By Maximilian Kwiatkowski

Mkwiatkowski@civitasmedia.com

Maximilian Kwiatkowski can be reached at 740-852-1616, ext. 1617 or on Twitter @MSFKwiat.

Maximilian Kwiatkowski can be reached at 740-852-1616, ext. 1617 or on Twitter @MSFKwiat.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU